First and foremost, what’s the verdict on the first day of the year? Erstwhile, I had friends who used to share all imparting knowledge, and according to them, legend has it that the first day of each year is an omen that will dictate how the rest of your year will go. I, however, prefer not to give credence to superstition, because most of the time, my January firsts are mundane and platitudinous, and false belief will only serve to nurse my unfounded fears. To be fair, it doesn’t suck bigtime, but most of the time its stodgy and monotonous, and I prefer each year a roller coaster ride of activity. And besides, you pave yourself the path towards either progress or retrogress, and though it’s never really as all-around kick-ass as what it looks like in your head, most of the time it’s just as eventful, and there loads of opportunities to have fun.
But of course, we have to keep ourselves driven to striving for excellence as bloggers. As for me, specific objectives and ground zeroes are required to keep me adrift, inspired to do better and to achieve each intent. That being said, I’ll share some of them with you, and if you have your own, don’t hesitate to tell me about them, too!
- I will read at least 100 books. I was able to do so this year (an exact hundred WOOHOO!) and though to many that may prove a negligible count, to me it means mucho. This time around, however, a hundred is the minimum– and if I keep on reading indefatigably (and saving up, because wallets don’t auto-fill, haha), I doubt that this will prove much out of reach.
- I will expand my review archive to at least 100 books. I haven’t been reviewing as much as I want to, due to my responsibilities to school and the steady influx of ideas for discussions, but this year, I intend to strike a balance and give myself a chance to review as much as I should be, though I can’t throw light upon the fact that my vocabulary increases threefold when I do so (do you even notice?) Because although Flip That Page is not solely a review blog, it is one first and foremost, and I want to make sure that I’m not completely defeating the purpose.
- I will host more giveaways. I’m hosting two right now, and honestly, it’s ingratiating. There is much to be thankful for, because I would be nowhere, and nothing without my viewers and my followers, so sharing a part of me with them (with you, ALAV YOU!) and reaching out in tangible ways would make me helluva happy, and hopefully have the same effect on the people in my immediate surroundings, albeit across the World Wide Web.
- I will open up to the Contemporary and New Adult genres. I’ve always seen myself as a loyalist to the Young Adult genre, but I do wish to open myself up to other genres that may apply to my age and to my preferences. Surprisingly enough, I’ve read more Contemporary YA than Fantasy Fiction this 2013, and though I haven’t completely snuggled up to the genre so much as put it to the test, I am more than willing to read up on more as it has passed with flying colors. And though New Adult may be too mature in theme to leave me entirely complacent, I of course don’t want to miss out on the good stuff, so it would be nice to open up for a change.
- I will complete the NaNoWriMo challenge. I’ve never written past 25 000, and honestly, it’s a little frustrating (okay maybe that wasn’t very honest, because it’s incredibly frustrating). I have plenty of time to prepare for the next installment of NaNoWriMo, so if I lay the groundwork early on, I hope to finish in time.
- I will meet more bloggers. I’m not too coy and skittish a person in reality, so I guess that’s part of the reason why it sucks that I haven’t been able to mingle fellow bloggers near enough. Gayle Forman will visit on the 18th, however, and if I successfully
brainwashcoax my parents into letting me go, maybe I can work on this goal by then.
- I will organize my bookshelf. My shelves are just about as grubby as my room, which is a landmine in its chaos. I don’t have a lot of books though, so it should be a lot easier for me to put things in order.
- I will follow all the series I’ve started. Unless they’re utterly pestiferous, of course. I hate abandoning series because I hate knowing how something begins and not knowing it ends, so I’ve resolved to studiously follow the series I’ve started and hope that everything else doesn’t fall into maelstrom.
- I will discover the works of at least 50 new authors. I don’t know that many of them, and honestly I really want to. There are lots of authors out there who deserve esteem and accolade, so maybe now is the right time to open up to their works and (hopefully) deem any number of them worthy of auto-approval.
- I will keep the blog running until the end of 2014. Easier said than done.
But like I said, effective management comes with organization: scheduling posts, planning discussions ahead, making enough time for the blog to be able to update it regularly. Keeping notebooks, planners and even apps like Evernote are handy, though it depends on the medium preferred. As for me, I prefer to store one and all on Microsoft OneNote, though I am trying physical media on for size, because ideas seem to flow at my discretion better as written on paper than as typed onscreen. I like to write on gorgeous notebooks for this purpose, this year for instance, on the Landmark Notebooks from Team Manila (a recent, and amazing discovery), and albeit a little pricier than the standard notebook its size, the general feel and the design is more than enough to make it well worth the cost. Plus, it’s Filipino-made, which makes me proud, so if you have yet to pay their shop a visit, I encourage you to do so 😀
The thing is, however, that I have reached many a goal previously set, and once again, none of it would have been possible without the support and inspiration from the lovely viewers and fellow bloggers who take the time to stop by and have a nice chat. So it’s time for another giveaway, you guys!
WOOHOO PARTY PARTY!!
Enter for a chance to win the complete set of Landmark Notebooks from Team Manila (three different notebooks in three different colors) which, if you haven’t already noticed, will form a complete picture of various landmarks when put together side by side (it’s the bomb diggity).
So whether or not it’s your first time on the blog, do participate in this mission to spread the happiness! Giveaway is open INTERNATIONALLY, and will end JANUARY 31, 2014. So without further ado…
And please read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the widget!
Good Luck, and Happy New Year!
Also, click on This Link if you haven’t already entered my other giveaway and would like to do so 🙂